Day Two

Maybe a better title would be: Reality Sets In. Because I got a partial knee replacement, I would be going home today! So there was a lot to get done before I could be discharged. The physical therapist came in, and got me up to walk again. The walking wasn’t so bad, but that’s when the nausea started. (Do you all remember that that was one of the things I was most worried about? I had talked to EVERYONE about that.) Didn’t make it back to my room before I motioned to the big cups at the nurses’ station. And the puking began…

Back in my bed, the nausea subsided, and so the P.T. taught me the three exercises that I would be doing THREE TIMES A DAY when I got home. Then I told her that I had one step–7 inches to be exact (the paperwork they had given me ahead of time told me to measure any steps.) So off she went to get a big box that was 7 inches high, so she could teach me how to go up and down a step. “Up with the good, down with the bad.” (good knee, bad knee.) That is EXTREMELY good advice. Of course, standing up led to puke number two. Then back in bed for the inevitable wait for things to get done for a discharge. And somewhere in there I did get VERY ANGRY that they were taking so long to get me the anti-nausea medicine……

Back up one more time to get dressed for the drive home. Puke number three. I told the nurse to give us some of the blue pads and some of those big cups for the drive home. I was very worried about throwing up in Robin’s car (Robin, my best friend came down to take care of me after surgery.)

Amazingly, I did not throw up on the long drive home (1 1/2 hours.) And when we got home, Robin brought me what I named “manna from heaven.” Truly, these little treasures became my favorite meal over the next few days!


I never threw up again. I guess the anti-nausea medicine (ondansetron) they prescribed did the job. It was a very expensive medicine because my insurance company would only pay for nine pills! I paid for another nine of them.

The pain medicine I was on was oxycodone, which I alternated with tylenol. With these two drugs, as well as the nerve blocker that I went home with, the pain I experienced was minimal, especially compared to what I had been expecting. Oh, and regularly icing my knee helped too. They sent me home with quite a few reusable ice packs as well as a nice sleeve to put them in.

Barb, a blog reader, sent me this hilarious cartoon, along with some wonderful chicken fabric! Barb is a quilter and has had TKR surgery, and was so helpful and encouraging to me before the surgery.


They sent me home with a walker, and I had gathered a lot of handicapped equipment before I left for the surgery: a bedside commode, side rails for the toilet, a shower chair, and a reacher/grabber thing. I never used the bedside commode. The toilet side rails were VERY helpful, and of course the shower chair was used for about a week. I never did use the reacher/grabber thingy, but Robin said it was very useful for retrieving something that fell way under a table! I stopped using the walker after a week too. I thought I would need a cane after that, and had one in my Amazon cart, but I have felt more steady on my feet than before the surgery!

14 thoughts on “Day Two

  1. So what do you think the nausea was caused by? Almost doesn’t make sense that it could be the anesthesia since you were 24+ hours past that. I’m guessing meds. Mr. Helen has had issues surrounding nausea after surgery caused by meds because he really wasn’t eating enough.

    • It was probably the oxycodone, although I’m not even sure they were giving that to me. It could have been the remnants of the spinal shot. I have had nausea with tylenol with codeine and with vicodin, so I knew I was sensitive to stronger pain meds. BTW, that wrist thing that you recommended–I was considering getting that. I called the company, and they do have a specialized band just for nausea from medication that has to be prescribed!

  2. You only needed the walker for a week? And no cane?? Wow! That’s way better than I expected! And while you were prepared for everything with all of the equipment, it’s nice that you didn’t end up needing to use all of it. So impressed with your recovery, seriously.

    Up with the good, down with the bad. Good thing to know and remember. We were at BB on Sunday and I watched a man on crutches go up two steps with his bad foot – you could tell he was perplexed as to how to start, but that couldn’t have felt good.

    As to your nausea woes, you have my empathy – that is just SO. NOT. FUN. I would have been pissed as well, waiting for the anti-nausea meds while still puking!

    • You know, one of the things they offered to prescribe for me (when the insurance company wouldn’t pay for more of the nausea med) was a patch with scopolamine–isn’t that what you used? I said no thank you to that one!

      • Actually, scopolamine was first developed to treat patients before surgical procedures to prevent nausea and dizziness. I think the trick is not to wear it unceasingly for days because everyone I’ve ever known who has done that ended up getting the delayed nausea like Shelley did.

  3. Three months ago I had shoulder replacement surgery. So know what it is about the nausea. I started puking right out of surgery. First week I was not sure I had done the right thing, but 3 months later I am so glad I did it.

  4. The worst is over….now your disciplined self will begin to shine. I am so amazed about all the stuff you do and accomplish…..I am sure getting back on your “legs” will be a piece of cake, especially with your bestie there with you. Hugs and prayers for your swift recovery.

  5. Why do saltines taste like the most delicious thing in the world when you’re sick??? Saltines & gingerale is my go-to when my tummy is upset. Those little ones look fun!!

    Glad you were so well prepped, but good deal that you didn’t need a lot of it! You’ll be up and about in no time!

  6. I am so glad you are home now and in recovery phase. Sorry about the nausea. I bet it was the oxy – that is at the least an appetite suppressant for me and could easily lead to nausea. You are amazing to be walking without a cane already!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s